Saturday, September 09, 2006

Paris CDG Airport

Oh my God! This place is the nightmare offspring from Gerry Anderson and the Milton Keynes town planners! "Time to spare, go by air" was written especially for CDG.
Don't get me wrong, with a 5 hour stopover, an appreciation for airports and architecture, and especially my pre-booked space in one of the VIP lounges (free alcoholic beverages!), I think it's a fascinating place. Just don't try a transfer of less than, say, 3 hours! One of my fellow passengers on the shuttle bus between terminals couldn't believe "even the French could design something so incompetent". But then he probably had a flight to catch!
Terminal 2B (and A, C, D, E and F I expect) is like a small, thin railway station with some duty-free shops and a cafe at each end. And long queues for the few toilets.
Terminal 1 is the other side of Paris (according to a German traveller on the buss over there). It is so precious, they don't even allow the aircraft near. They have to park out at "satellites". You access the terminal proper via moving walkways that wend their way up and down through small, pebble-dashed corridors. I'm sure I've seen this as a set in "Moon Zero Two" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064691/). Still no signs of seats or toilets. Oh well, show me to the (free) bar (http://www.loungepass.com/). Plus, of course, you can catch up on your blogging from the free internet terminals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home